Textiles Appraising Program
This program provides in depth study of textiles through hands-on applications and coursework. Encounter the range of textiles from A to Z including composition, identification, techniques, dating and valuation.Lots of smaples...
Textile courses are taught byBelinda Belisle, long time lace maker, restorer and appraiser. She has studied and collected antique textiles for over 15 years. She is a member of Old Lace, Inc., Wearble Art Connection, Textile Museum Associates of Southern California and Textile and Costume Guild.
TEC-1501 Introduction to Textiles - Fiber to Fabric
• How to look at textiles,
• Fiber identification,
• Assessing condition,
• Handling vintage textiles,
• Cultural impact of textiles,
• Methods and ethics for appraising textiles,
• Introduction to word pictures and condition reports.
TEC-1502 Household Textiles
Learn how to identify, date and value household linens including quilts, tapestry, samplers, table linens, handwork and shawls.
TEC-1503 Antique and Vintage Fashions - Clothing, Accesories, 1860-1990
• Emphasis on clothing and accessories likely to be found in estate sales...
• Learn fashion decade by decade.
• Learn construction, embellishments, popular accessories.
• Social and cultural aspects of clothing.
TEC-1504 Textile Care, Conservation and Appraising
• Textile storage and conservation techniques including cleaning and preserving.
• A "Final" appraisal project is included in this course.