Become a Certified Appraiser Studying at Home
We can lead you to a rewarding new career in appraising... or you may choose to become a much more successful dealer, buyer or seller.
The Home Study Certification Program
In 1992 we developed the Distance Learning/Home Study Program to allow people who live outside of our commuter areas in Southern California to have the same course of study.
What Our Courses Offer you?
• Useful, relevant courses in all areas of antique appraising
• Quality curriculum taught by certified experts
• Convenient home study that allows you to work at your own pace
• Staff and faculty support
• Practice in producing professional, quality appraisals and documents
Home Study Course Fee: $350
How Our Program Works
We offer a total of ten courses. There are nine courses of study that focus on product knowledge in Glass, Furniture, Jewelry, Pottery, Early Americana (Primitives), and Metals of Antiques. The tenth course covers appraisal ethics and standards, and includes many samples to show you how to efficiently research and prepare professional appraisal documents. We will also to show you how to produce a professional appraiser’s resume.
You will receive video lectures and course booklets for each of ten courses. Written highlight notes accompany the videos. Each course has ten lessons, followed by quizzes. Complete each course at your own pace; return the quizzes to the college for grading. Our faculty and staff are available to assist you along the way.
The tenth course on producing appraisal documents also includes your final exam. While we urge everyone to take this class on campus, it is also available as home study
The Antiques Home Study Curriculum
• Art Glass of the World
• American Glass
• English and Continental Pottery
• American Pottery
• Furniture I - Antiquity to 1800
• Furniture II -- 1800 to 1950
• Jewelry – Victorian - 1970
• Early Americana
• Metals of Antiques
• APPRAISING 1001 Appraising Ethics, Research and Final Exam
The appraisal course is offered twice a year at our campus in Southern California. You are urged to come in person to meet your teachers, fellow students and make important contacts. You may also take this class via distance learning.
This class includes:
• Methods of research and proper valuation of items for an appraisal
• How to write a report and prepare appraisal documents for all types of appraisals: probate, gift donation, dissolution, insurance coverages, etc.
The “final examination” consists of preparing an insurance appraisal. You will be given twenty-five items to appraise and three weeks to research them and prepare an appraisal document to be sent to the College. Your completed appraisal will be evaluated by a faculty committee at the College.
We ask students taking this final at home to submit sample documents for review and comment prior to the actual exam process.
Upon completion of these courses and the final appraisal, you will receive your certification in personal property appraising.
Our home study courses are available on CD and DVD. The lectures are fully scripted to be accessible for the hearing impaired.
Home Study Course Fee: $350